Range Management in North East British Columbia

Range Management in North East British Columbia

Friday, January 15, 2010

What I learned in my first week of grad school

My first week of graduate school, or rather, I feel I ought to say our first week at grad school because I know that I'm not here on my own, is through. I couldn't do what I'm doing if it weren't for y'all back home - family, friends, colleagues and support crew. So figured I'd share what I learned in my first week of grad school with y'all so we can all be better enlightened!

1. Koch et al. 2004. The limits to tree height. Nature 428:851-854. My first "official" paper that I read in grad school. I've read other papers but not since I've been here in person at OSU. That paper rocked me upside down! You check it out and let me know what you think of it on first read. Now I am able to discuss it at about 50% intelligence capacity but it definitely woke me up as to what leve I am expected to be reading!!! Thankfully I was told that they won't all be as challenging ...!!!

2. Steve Winter taught me that models can be either conceptual or mathematical http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_modelling and that they are good tools to share concepts and/or data with others. I also learned that it is not necessary for my hands to sweat so much when looking at models because they are there to help explain things and not make them more confusing (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=jFp&q=conceptual+model&revid=2050166025&resnum=0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=8CZOS_ujC4zSMoP5xYAN&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCEQsAQwAw).

3. "All areas of the world that are not barren deserts, farmed or covered by bare soil, rock, ice or concrete are rangelands" (Holechek, 2004). I also learned that "the harmonious use of native rangeland for more than one purpose, such as livestock, recreation, wildlife, and water production, is defined as multiple use" (Society for Range Management 1989). "By 2025, 40% of the world's population will likely experience water shortages" (United Nations Development Programme 2000) and that 17% of the world's population is undernourished in one form or another. Rangelands make up 70% of the world's land area and that "rangeland wildlife also has potential as a source of meat for human consumption in many African countries" (Small 1988). Lastly that "it is therefore essential that both the forester and the range manager understand the interrelationships between grazing and timber management" (Holechek, 2004).

4. A shout out to all you foresters cause you'll like this one: Dr. Rod Will taught us about the cohesion-tension theory, water potential, cavitation/embolism and redwoods. I have a new appreciation for these giants. They are really amazing!

5. I've learned that I really don't like this fancy drink called a fuze and I would rather not purchase that again. I also found out that the majority of places to eat on campus close on the weekend and that there are no payphones that I am able to hunt down!

6. GIS and Statistics amaze me! They are very complex yet very intriguing.

7. I believe that RANGE management is different than GRAZING management but I am questionning that on both sides.

8. Perhaps I have gotten overly used to a lack of interaction with people! I have learned that I don't like it when people walk closely behind me and that when I see people getting off a bus or a lot of students walking towards me, I want to run away!!! I think I've taken a chapter out of "Descent into Madness" and started to live it! I'm thankful that I have become accustomed to the bittersweet isolation of life in Northern British Columbia. It has taught me a lot about being on my own.

9. I have transitioned into a weird space where I can not stop my brain at night time. I close my eyes and see SAS analysis, models, range management texts and concepts whizzing all about. I have learned that this is one of the most weird experiences I've ever had!!

10. I've asked myself what I think I'm doing here just about every day and I've felt that question right to my core. Even though there's a lot of self-doubt going on, I know I'm in the right place. I am surrounded by very intelligent people and appear to have been presented with a solid support network here of very kind and generous Americans who are making me feel very welcome although I have missed the north country since the day I left ...

No comments:

Post a Comment