Range Management in North East British Columbia

Range Management in North East British Columbia

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The final sprint!

Master's Women 2x with Regina Montag heading into the final leg of the Gorge Head Race, 2001.

It was always an exciting part of the race when we would shift into the last 500m. All that work that had been done in the first 1300 to 1600m of the race was past us and that final reach to the line was approaching. Stroke by stroke, winding it up and moving together, (ideally in unison!) with guts wrenching and blood pumping through bodies that were soaked with lactic acid. Perhaps not as physically intense as rowing a 2km race, my last week here at Oklahoma State has reminded me of those races and how it felt to leave it all out there having rowed the best I could row on that day, in that boat, on that water, in those conditions with that crew.

Vikes Women's Rowing Team 2004.

National Champions Danny Buchanan and Keith Siklenka on the podium at the Canadian Secondary School Rowing Association Championships putting Belmont High School on the map.

UVic Men's Novice Alumni at Monster Erg 2005.

Vikes Varsity and Junior Varsity Men with the Vikes Women racing in Oregon.

Lorena Campbell and I after the Sr. Women's 2x at the BC Championships Regatta on Elk Lake in 2004. One of the best partners and friends I have ever had the honour to know.

UVic Junior Varsity Heavy Men's 8+ in Oregon.

We won races. We lost races. We trained hard and we raced even harder and smarter. Here at Oklahoma State University, I have been pushed harder than I have ever been pushed before. I now understand that it is not enough to work hard. Critical thinking and analysis along with scientific breadth and depth are vital to success as a scientist. I am coming back to Canada with more questions than I had when I left and with the realization that I now know how little I really do know. My greatest reflections here that I will continue in the north country are around carbon sequestration, nutrient cycling, conservation and biodiversity, "proper" range and grazing management, invasive and alien species management, the aesthetics around disturbance, the desire and need to keep fire in ecosystems, and how we can incorporate our scientific knowledge with political and social decisions.

My role model, friend and mum giving me some last words before I push off. Howie Campbell told me once that you never forget where you came from. You are so right Howie.

No comments:

Post a Comment